1. Everything we do is with your best interest in mind. We are available to you from our 1st meeting until you move into your home.
2. We are readily available to for you to contact us, by phone, email or text messaging. Promptly responding to your questions is a top priority for our firm.
3. We are your reliable source for needed information on your project. Whether it is a question from the builder or anyone else involved in your home design we will have or find the required answer. IE: If someone states that can’t be done. Call 1-800 Ken for the real solution.
4. Our home design video updates, online meetings, and 3d presentations will keep you informed and updated.
5. Our interactive design sessions have you actively involved in your custom home design.
6. We provide the structural coordination for all of the i-joist and truss in your home to be sure they match our design layouts.
7. Your plan is guaranteed to obtain a building permit.
Plans submitted for building permits are rejected at alarmingly high rates. Henrico County VA rejected 75% of plans submitted for building permit and Chesterfield follows closely with 50%. The high rejection rate indicates a lack of knowledge of codes and/or attention to detail. We average 98.5% pass rate on the 1st submittal, saving you time, money, and unnecessary stressful trips to the inspections department.
Why us Experience
Our residential design specialists have over 30 years full-time design experience each and have completed custom home designs in many states including Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and Alabama. We know the home design business inside and out and can deliver easy to read, well detailed, and permit ready plan sets for all areas of Virginia. A few of the areas we serve are Henrico County VA, Hanover County VA, Goochland VA, Gloucester VA, Chesterfield County VA, City of Richmond, Powhatan County VA, Emporia, Sussux. We are not draftsman! Most people would refer to us as residential architects, however we professional home designers.
Why us Reputation
We have earned the respect of architects, building inspectors, contractors, framers, and truss manufacturers by producing consistent quality home designs that are easy to understand, review, and build. Simply, we are known for plans that work as they are drawn, with no surprises to cost extra time or money during construction
Why us Our focus on accurate construction documents.
At The Design Guy, we know flawed plans lead to construction problems, delays, and broken dreams. Our job is to create reliable designs that allow you to focus your valuable time on the construction process, instead of finding solutions to fix avoidable problems. We use a time-proven proprietary system of design, verifying all pertinent information is on the plan set.
Above list many of the reasons of Why Us.
Certifications & Licensing
Why us? Certifications & Licensing
Why is this important? In Virginia, anyone may draw home plans without experience, education, training or licensing required. Certifications are evidence of competency helping the consumer to make an informed decision when hiring a design firm. The Design Guy has a designer that has achieved the credentials of Certified Professional Building Designer (CPBD). The CPBD certification is a voluntary, 20 hour, 11 section examination covering such topics as architecture, engineering, building systems, materials, project administration, problem-solving and professional ethics. We were certified to set ourselves apart from the self-proclaimed designers.
- We were voted by the Houzz community as the winner of Best of Houzz 2019 award!
- Member (VBCOA) Virginia Building and Code Officials Association
- I have written IRC code changes and clarifications that have been adopted nationally.
- Virginia state president American Institute of Building Design (AIBD)
- Certified as Certified Professional Building Designer (CPBD) by (NCBDC)
- NCBDC Northeast district examiner, giving national CPBD exams.
- National Vice President for The National Council of Building Designer Certification (NCBDC)
- Re-wrote the structural exam for NCBDC.
- Council of Publishing Home Designers (appointee)
- Home designs registered with Copyright Office and the Library of Congress